The one unknown on our trip was where we were going to stay on our last night in Johannesburg. We had really left this up to chance, and figured we would just get a hotel room somewhere in the city. Well, when Yvonne heard about this plan (or lack thereof), she would have none of that! She said that her friend, Wendy Adam, owed her a favor and would be happy to host us. So she promptly got Wendy on the phone and made the arrangements. This is quite a generous gesture, seeing how there are 6 of us!
I actually knew Wendy back during my time in Welkom while on mission, when she was Wendy Molema. I also met Wendy back in 2011 at Ashley Roberts' (Paul and Yvonne's son) wedding. Wendy flew out to be with Yvonne and family for the occassion. It was in Welkom where Yvonne met Wendy. Wendy left to serve a mission while I was in Welkom, and I actually got to know her dad, Willem, very well. Willem was the ward mission leader, and I remember him being a great man, with a great sense of humor. They had us over for dinner very often - probably most Sundays. Willem has since passed away, but I was able see Wendy, her husband and kids, and her mom who is living with them. They have a beautiful home in Ranburg, a suburb of Jo'burg. On their property they have a guest house that was perfectly suited for us. Wendy was so great - she left us all kinds of food and treats in the guest house, so we were more than comfortable - it was like a bed and breakfast! That night she fed us an absolutely delicious meal of bobotie. It was great reconnecting with them, and was the ideal finish to the perfect trip!
The next day we would fly out around 9pm, so we planned to go see the sites in Jo'burg. I took the kids to my first area, Ridgeway, another suburb of Jo'burg. We drove around trying to find the flat I lived in - and I think I found it - or at least came very close. I remember well the amazing view of Jo'burg from my flat there. We found the chapel there - which strangely didn't seem familiar at all. But it was fun to drive around, and see the massive hills that I remember so well travelling on my bike. We also drove through another one of my areas, Florida. And of course we couldn't leave without visiting the temple grounds. The Jo'burg temple is beautiful, and it is exactly as I remember it - with a stunning view from the back of the temple grounds.
We were so blessed to have been able to take this once-in-a-lifetime trip. From all the support at home, to all of those we met along the way and during our journey - we can't thank everyone enough. Our lives have been truly blessed to know so many wonderful people - and in such amazing places!
No comments:
Post a Comment